Equal Voice Nova Scotia Steering Committee Recruitment Information Package
Thank you for considering joining the Equal Voice Nova Scotia Steering Committee. This document is intended to provide background information to inform your decision to stand for consideration.
About Equal Voice
Founded in 2001, Equal Voice is a national, bilingual, multi-partisan not-for-profit organization dedicated to electing more women to all levels of political office in Canada. Equal Voice advocate’s for the equal representation of women in Canada’s Parliament, in provincial and territorial legislatures, and on municipal and band councils.
Equal Voice is a member-based organization. Our members include women, men, and gender-nonconforming people from every region of Canada and every political party. What brings us together is our shared goal to elect more women from every party to every level of government.
Equal Voice promotes the election of women by:
- Working with all political parties to increase the nominations of women candidates;
- Promoting electoral and other changes that would increase the numbers of women in politics;
- Conducting outreach with young women to inspire and engage them in politics as a future career choice, including through the Daughters of the Vote program; · Encouraging women to run for office through programs such as our comprehensive, bilingual on-line campaign school;
- Raising awareness about the impact of women's under-representation;
- Celebrating women in politics; and
- Communicating and implementing Equal Voice’s goals and activities through innovative programming, regional chapters, a dynamic website, regular newsletters, media releases, social media activity, and hosting major events.
Equal Voice is a member-based organization with Chapters across Canada. Chapters are run by volunteers and their work is what allows Equal Voice to have impact across the country. Equal Voice’s national secretariat has a staff of 9, working from an office in Ottawa, Ontario.
About Equal Voice Nova Scotia
Equal Voice Nova Scotia is relaunching and looking for new Steering Committee members. Five members are needed to serve a one-year term providing expertise and advice on chapter activities at the local level, and electing more women across Nova Scotia from all political parties. We aim to reflect the diversity of all Nova Scotians.
The primary focus of Steering Committee members is to execute events and programming to raise awareness about the need for more women in positions of power, to encourage women to run for politics and to support and celebrate women in politics.
Responsibilities of the Steering Committee:
- Engage in strategic planning and the setting of annual goals and priorities
- Ensure Equal Voice Nova Scotia's activities align with its strategic plan
- Prepare for, attend and participate in bi-monthly one-hour virtual committee meetings (teleconference or video conference)
- Act as an ambassador for Equal Voice Nova Scotia
Equal Voice is particularly looking for Steering Committee with expertise in fundraising, governance, communications, diversity and inclusion, strategic planning, legal expertise, politics, and past experience on non-profit boards.
A full Steering Committee of five people will be selected in 2020 to serve for a one year term.
Steering Committee members attend a bi-monthly one-hour virtual meeting. In general, Committee members should be willing to devote a minimum of 10 hours per month to Equal Voice Nova Scotia work.
Equal Voice is a bilingual organization and we encourage expressions of interest from bilingual candidates, as well as from individuals who speak other languages.
Committee meetings and correspondence are in English.
To express your interest in joining the Steering Committee, please complete the Expression of Interest Form found below.
- To apply you must be a resident of Nova Scotia and complete both sections of the attached application form.
- Deadline to submit an Expression of Interest form to join the Equal Voice Nova Scotia Steering Committee is June 05, 2020.
For more information, please contact Lia Renaud at email@example.com