About Equal Voice Nova Scotia
Equal Voice Nova Scotia Chapter is dedicated to electing more women in ridings from Yarmouth to Cape Breton. Nova Scotia faces significant barriers in reaching gender parity; with only 8 women having been elected federally and 50 provincially, there is work to be done in supporting women in our province. Recent EVNS campaigns - such as our municipal elections strategy and Campaign School - have seen great success, with more women than ever breaking with the political glass ceiling in the 2019 Municipal Elections. Want to help #AddWomenChangePolitics here at home? Join our chapters at https://www.equalvoice.ca/nova_scotia.
About Equal Voice
Founded in 2001, Equal Voice is a national, bilingual, multi-partisan not-for-profit organization dedicated to electing more women to all levels of political office in Canada. Equal Voice advocate’s for the equal representation of women in Canada’s Parliament, in provincial and territorial legislatures, and on municipal and band councils.
Equal Voice is a member-based organization. Our members include women, men, and gender-nonconforming people from every region of Canada and every political party. What brings us together is our shared goal to elect more women from every party to every level of government.
Equal Voice promotes the election of women by:
- Working with all political parties to increase the nominations of women candidates;
- Promoting electoral and other changes that would increase the numbers of women in politics;
- Conducting outreach with young women to inspire and engage them in politics as a future career choice, including through the Daughters of the Vote program; · Encouraging women to run for office through programs such as our comprehensive, bilingual online campaign school;
- Raising awareness about the impact of women's under-representation;
- Celebrating women in politics; and
- Communicating and implementing Equal Voice’s goals and activities through innovative programming, regional chapters, a dynamic website, regular newsletters, media releases, social media activity, and hosting major events.