Founded in 2001, Equal Voice is a national, bilingual, multi-partisan organization dedicated to electing more women to all levels of political office in Canada.
Equal Voice promotes the election of more women by:
- Working will all political parties to increase the nominations of women candidates
- Promoting electoral and other changes that would increase the numbers of women in politics
- Conducting outreach with young women to inspire and engage them in politics as a future career choice
- Encouraging women to run for office through programs such as our comprehensive, bilingual on-line campaign school
- Raising awareness about the impact of women’s underrepresentation
- Celebrating women in politics, and
- Communicating and implementing Equal Voice’s goals and activities through innovative programming, Equal Voice’s chapters, our website, regular newsletters, media releases, social media activity, and by hosting major events.
Our chapters and campus clubs across Canada bring Equal Voice’s work to life in the community, while the organization is supported at a national level by a National Advisory Board including some of Canada’s most prominent women politicians.
Equal Voice is currently seeking an Executive Director to join our team and help execute on our mission to elect more women to political office in Canada. This is an exciting and rare opportunity to make a difference in the landscape of Canadian politics.
Reporting directly to the Equal Voice Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be responsible for leading and implementing the strategic plan of the organization by directing and supporting the work of the Board, volunteers and staff. Through strategic engagement and advocacy for the organization, the Executive Director will focus on building strong strategic relationships with key stakeholders including funders, Equal Voice members and government.
The Executive Director will oversee all aspects of strategic, financial, operational, program, and human resources planning and management. The successful candidate must have strong financial acumen and budget management experience, as well as proven experience in advocacy. An operational team will support the Executive Director in their role.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- 5 years of management experience or equivalent
- Superior communication skills – written and verbal in both official languages
- Understanding of and interest in promoting women in public life
- Ability to work alongside, motivate and empower staff, volunteers and Board
- Strong understanding of finances of small to medium non-profit organizations
- Sound experience in fund-raising and strategic partnership building
- Understanding of and/or experience in media
- University degree in a related field
- 5 or more years of progressive management experience in a voluntary sector organization
The role typically consists of a full 40-hour week with additional hours as required. Working conditions are in-office, with the occasional requirement for off-site attendance at meetings and events as needed.
Terms of contract: Full Time Permanent
Location: Ottawa, ON
The application deadline is January 11th, 2019. Cover letters and resumes can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org please reference “Equal Voice Executive Director” in the subject line.
Equal Voice welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Equal Voice’s Accommodation policy. Applicants, please make your needs known in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.